CHOCOLATE ALMOND CAKE
YIELD: 12 servings
PREPARATION TIME: 15 minutes
COOKING TIME: 40 minutes
• Cooking Spray
• 1 cup + 1 Tbsp whole wheat flour
• ½ cup cocoa powder
• ½ cup unrefined turbinado sugar (or sweetener of choice)
• 2 Tbsp ground golden roasted flaxseed
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 1 tsp baking soda
• ½ tsp sea salt
• 2 egg whites
• ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
• ½ cup low-fat buttermilk
• ¼ cup natural unsalted almond butter
• ½ tsp real almond extract
• 1 cup freshly brewed very hot coffee
• 3 Tbsp sliced toasted almonds
Preheat oven to 350°F / 175°C. Coat a 9-inch round baking pan with Eat-Clean Cooking Spray and 1 Tbsp / 15 ml whole wheat flour, discarding excess flour.
Whisk together 1 cup / 240 ml flour, cocoa powder, sugar, flaxseed, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Stir in egg whites, applesauce, buttermilk, almond butter and almond extract. Carefully whisk in hot coffee until thoroughly combined. Batter will be thin.
Pour batter into sprayed and floured pan and bake in oven until a toothpick inserted in center comes out almost completely clean, about 40 minutes. Cool 10 minutes and remove from pan to a wire rack. Top with toasted almonds and cut into slices.